KDE su & Control Centre

Stroller Linux.Luser at myrealbox.com
Sat May 14 04:11:56 UTC 2005

In the course of trying to get my wireless network card working the
last couple of days, I've noticed some behaviour in KDE's control panel
that I wouldn't have anticipated.

If I want to do something which requires root privelidges, KDE 3.4 pops
up a helpful box titled "Run as root - KDE su" and asks me for a
password. The FAQ at <http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/InstallingKDE>
explains this is the user password, not the root one (presumably it's a
`sudo` window, then).

kWifiManager uses this dialogue to call its configuration editor, so
that root privileges can be used to set the WEP key & so forth, and it
works perfectly, but if in Control Centre it seems flakey.

When Kontrol Centre is started, a blue splashscreen is displayed on the
right-hand side, showing KDE version, hostname, kernel version &c. If I
enter any of the sections which require superuser access - Network
Setting or Wireless Network, for example - all the settings are greyed
out, except for an "administrator mode" button which when pushed
produces the same "Run as root - KDE su" I described before. In this
case, though, entering my password just takes me back to the blue
Control Centre splashscreen.

Is anyone else experiencing this bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Stroller.