encoding video for dvd burning

Michael Beattie mtbeedee at gmail.com
Fri May 13 18:37:07 UTC 2005

I am trying to encode the video that comes off my digital camera so
that I can burn it to a DVD with varsha.  I have tried using mencoder
and transcode and neither of them makes valid mpeg files.  Transcode
can change the codec to xvid, lavc, mp3lame or whatever, no problem,
but it leaves it in an AVI container which I guess varsha doesnt like.
 mencoder seems to make a valid mpeg container but the stuff inside it
is corrupt.

I have tried many different options, but this is what I seem to get
the best results with even though it still doesnt work.

transcode -i "/home/mike/MVI0023.avi" -x mplayer -y divx5 -V -N 0x55
-b 64 -o "/home/mike/first.mpg"

mencoder MVI0023.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid -of mpeg -o first.mpg