enhancing performance -aburda - firefox

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 18:12:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 04:51 -0400, aburda wrote:
> Tom,
>

> I understand how to modify the xorg.conf file (note in hoary it
> is now xorg.conf and not XFree86.conf anymore, that was for warty) and
> how to change the colors what I am wondering about is how I actually
> change the video driver itself.  I.e. supposing I find a better driver
> than what I have how would I actually go about installing the drive
> files.  BTW I am using the i810 driver.  I'll do some research into
> this to see what I can find.
>
> More importantly, I definately have some hardware problem with
> linux setup.  The following are my startup times for a couple of apps
> with only gnome, thunderbird and skype running.
>

> Swriter 25 sec
>
> Firefox 13 sec
>
> Nautilus 7 sec
>
> Gedit 8 sec
>
> term window  8 sec     #nautilus, the term window and Gedit I would
> expect to open immediately
>

> BTW, on OO I've moved the graphics cache up to 128 and have run
> oooprelink.

<snip>

I haven't seen a post from you in a while and do not know how your
performance improvements have gone.

I did find a performance improvements for firefox among others.

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2875

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007164.html

I expect my guide to enhancing Linx desktop performance to be published in Linux Journal Monday or Tuesday.