New Ubuntu-Firefox - maybe safer but not 100%

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:28:06 UTC 2005

On 5/13/05, Arjan Geven - CURE <geven at cure.at> wrote:
> > So what should we simple ubuntu users do ?
> > Download firefox 1.0.4 and compile it from source ?
>
> How about, just type about:config in Firefox, and replace this setting:
>
> app.version             1.0.something

> app.version             1.0.4
>
> It's not very nice, but it might work

Yes but it's just like the doctor offering to touch up the X-Ray so
the lung cancer no longer shows up.

The reason Mozilla changed their web site is because the vulnerability
allows a pirate web site to hijack the trusted status of the mozilla
site so the pirate site can more easily install malicious software
unbeknownst to you.

So you could lie about the version of Mozilla/Firefox but you still
have the underlying "disease."