AW: Unusual request

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:21:22 UTC 2005

On 5/13/05, squareyes <squareyes at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> this is just what I was after, a big relief saves a lot of work.
> only need to change things a little to show partition table for dual boot.
> Will see what I can put together with it, hopefuly may save some lost data,
> and a lot of agro. :-)

Back earlier in the thread you expressed concern about taking photos
of the screen, and of course that is a simple solution but would
produce inferior results. I believe what most "professionals" would
probably do is set up a test environment using something like qemu and
the installation would run on a process WITHIN your normal
environment.

It's a bit hard to imagine because it's confusing, but basically you
would set up a PC emulator that runs under an already running linux
install, and as you go through the installation you can take screen
captures of the window just as you would capture any image on the
screen. It won't run as fast as a native installation but that's
probably better for observing the process.

I've done this on a Mac (using Virtual PC) but not under linux so I'm
afraid I can't provide any more direct assistance, but maybe this
gives you a hint in another direction.