New Ubuntu-Firefox - maybe safer but not 100%

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri May 13 07:39:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 08:05:28AM +0200, Gábor Iglói wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I've updated my Firefox today, I think that this was a security update
>(because the 1.0.4 came out yesterday). As the usual Ubuntu way I
>suppose there wasn't a version switch from 1.0.2->1.0.4 only the new
>security patches were applied.
>
>But unforunately Mozilla won't let me to thier Themes and Extensions
>web pages with my new Ubuntu Firefox 1.0.2 till I don't upgrade to
>1.0.4. So it seems that the security patches won't be enough this time
>- we should change to the v1.0.4 or at least do something to fool
>Mozilla to allow us to get our extensions and themes.

I can only agree with this. It doesn't seem to be possible to access any
pages on update.mozilla.org with version 1.0.2 of FireFox.

Since there seems to be a lot of small issues with updates to FireFox
would it be an idea to exempt FireFox from the
only-security-updates-after-release rule?

I doubt it'd be possible to convince the Mozilla people to make their
checks a bit more granular, instead of checking that "mozilla-version >=
1.0.4" they should check "has-patch-for-vulnerability-X and
has-patch-for-vulnerbility-Y". It wouldn't really be in their interest
though, I think.

I know this is just a one-time thing, but since downloading and running
extensions is a hard problem to solve from a security point of view I am
afraid this won't be the last time we see the Mozilla Foundation doing
something like this.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

The seven worst words in cyberspace are "You just don't get it, do you?"
     -- Bob Metcalfe