Linux beginner's book [was Re: Ubuntu Book by O'Reilly?]

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri May 13 07:08:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 09:12:41PM -0400, m-yg at emailias.com wrote:
>As we are on the topic of linux books what can everyone recommend as a
>good newbie book.  Like getting to know how linux works, file system,
>directory structure, etc. I would like to learn the basics and work my
>way up. Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't help with any good book. I have only one Linux
book, on administrating Linux, and I bought it only because it was dirt
cheap (it was outdated already). I did pick up some things, not on
Linux, but on administrating in general. (A quick search on Amazon
didn't show it, I'll have to dig through the loft if someone is
interested in the exact title, let me know.)

However, I can point you to a few good manuals/tutorials that will teach
you a lot about Linux. They might not be quite the holding-your-hand
kind of newbie books that tend to be printed, but if you aren't afraid
of a little learning-by-doing they are great. (Some of them aren't what
you'd call up-to-date, but they still offer quite a bit of useful
pointers. You should of course contribute changes to the authors if you
find something that's wrong/out-of-date/etc.:-)

The page http://www.tldp.org/guides.html contains a lot of good starting
material:

 Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
 Bash Guide for Beginners
 Linux Dictionary
 Linux Filesystem Hierarchy
 The Linux System Administrators' Guide
 The Linux Network Administrator's Guide, Second Edition

And of course the HOWTO's on
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html one that might be
interesting is From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.

Hope it helps.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Intellectual property (IP) has been driving the species for some five
million years. In the past 100 or so years, it's increasingly been saddled
with the chore of lining the pockets of middlemen and parasites who, sans
this lining, would lack sufficient intellect to open a can of beer.
     -- Tom Matrullo