Unusual request

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Fri May 13 06:28:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-13-05 at 15:35 +0930, squareyes wrote:

> have checked out wiki's, and all seem a bit too advanced for people I know.
> I had in mind a very simple tutorial with pictures of each step of the
> install,
> that windows users could check out before installing.

then write something more simple for the wiki.  It's a big group of
users out there:  If you feel the docs there are too advanced, then you
can be sure other people feel the same and everyone would gain by you
contributing new how-to docs. Ubuntu nexts all sort of docs, complex and
simple.

> Am a relative newbie myself, getting to old to retain too much,
> and was going to do this in html, best for windows
> users to access, would be more than happy for anyone to use anything I
> have done,
> anyone is welcome to copy and change/modify, add to wiki, but don't know
> about
> me writing docs,  would hate to be responsible for breaking the wiki.

don't be afraid of the wiki; it's there for the users like you and me
and it's pretty easy to contribute to it, or to modify existing content.
And even in the unlikely event that you would "break" it, changes can be
revered back to older version of the wiki pages you would have changed.

And if you want to avoid the whole wiki business, simply write what you
want to, and then send it to the documentation team.; I'm sure they will
welcome any contribution from users like you.

And they will help you write it out in a way/or format that's useful to
the community if you get on their mailing list (or their IRC channel)
and ask for advice while you are writing it out. They are really nice
people :)

Daniel

--
Daniel Robitaille