How/if to contribute with Compaq W200 wireless usb?

vtrac ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri May 13 00:47:37 UTC 2005

ChaNce Wrote:
> Ok, well, now it hasn't worked for a few days. I cannot get fn-f2 to
> work at any time during startup, and it doesn't work when the OS is
> running.
>
> Any thoughts?

My W200 has worked on startup maybe once out of 50 boots.  I don't know
why.  I have to open a root shell, and do this:
modprobe -r orinoco_usb
modprobe -v orinoco_usb

Then I have to go to the Gnome network config and activate the wireless
interface.

A dmesg shows that the firmware isn't downloaded correctly during the
boot process, so hence I have to unload and reload the module.

--
vtrac