Distributing Firefox updates as XPIs

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Fri May 13 00:51:47 UTC 2005

Is there any reason why Firefox updates couldn't be
distributed as XPIs? I just tried to download a Firefox
extension, and I was told that I couldn't do so until I
upgraded Firefox to 1.04. I'm running a 100% Ubuntu system,
so I hesitate to upgrade such things outside of apt-get. But
even with Debianized Ubuntu, users can still upgrade their
~/.mozilla/firefox/plugins directory. So I'd like to see
changes to the product pushed into XPIs if possible.

Is there any reason why this is infeasible? One nice way to
make it work is to label the 1.04-upgrade XPI incompatible
with Firefox 1.04 itself; then if your site admin upgraded
Firefox to the latest version, Firefox would stop using the
XPI that you'd installed in your home directory.

Just a thought. Maybe I'll file a wishlist bug on this.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org
+(617) 308-5571