Ubuntu Book by O'Reilly?

Nathan Blackham kemotahalist at gmail.com
Thu May 12 20:50:48 UTC 2005

> I argued that the Ubuntu project is not typical of other Linux
> distributions and a market exists for an Ubuntu book.

I think that there is a great market for an Ubuntu Book.  My first
experience with system Administration was with Debian itself.  I use a
couple of Debian books.  One was Debian for Dummies and I can't
remember what the other one was.  Neither book was up to date with the
specific version of Debian that I was using but it still helped me to
learn what is going on.  I still flip through them occasionally,
mostly for reference.  Sometimes a book is easier than the man pages.

> What kind of book would would people want? a newbie book, a book for
> experienced Linux users or somewhere in between?

I personally think that the book should be mostly geared toward
Newbies.  I love learning new things and don't consider myself a
newbie but I haven't looked at a linux book for a while but when I was
a newbie I did.  Also, it should be easy to read through but also very
easy as a reference.  If it was a good reference, I would keep it on
my shelf.

I am reminded of the Perl book that you guys put out.  My buddy is a
Perl guru and he has teh book for reference.  If he needs to do
something that he can't think he looks it up in the book.  That would
be something that I would want in a Ubuntu Book.

Just my two cents,

Nathan