Memory and CPU requirements

Andrew Zajac arzajac at gmail.com
Thu May 12 19:35:02 UTC 2005

On 5/12/05, Travis Rousseau <travis.rousseau at gmail.com> wrote:
> -
>
> On 5/12/05, Rich Duzenbury <rduz-ubuntu at theduz.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 04:07 -0400, azz wrote:
> >
> > > What is comfortable is up to you.  I would install the default desktop
> > > on a 400 MHz machine with 128 megs of ram.  For anything less powerful,
> > > I would use a different windows manager like XFCE, Icewm or fluxbox.
> > > Your mileage may vary.
> >
> > How can I use a different window manager?  I do have an extra box that
> > is older and underpowered, yet could still be put to work.
> Do an Expert install (at the bootup installer type "expert"

Actually, it is server.  Expert just prompts you all the way so that
you can track down problems.  Server stops the install after the base
system installation.

After the base system install, you  boot and install whatever you want:
sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core xfce4 abiword gdm mozilla-firefox
or
sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core menu icewm wdm mozilla-firefox

You can do a default install and the add on the XFCE4 packages or
icewn and menu and make that environment you default session in gdm.
Then you get to use the whole collectin of apps if you so desire

You need to add universe to your repositories...