More failed verification on some packages

Anthony David adavid at adavid.com.au
Thu May 12 14:03:04 UTC 2005

On 12/05/2005, at 11:37 PM, Ingo Lantschner wrote:

> Anthony David wrote:
>
>> WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
> IMHO "authentication" in this context means to verify the
> package-creator. This generally needs the public-key of this person to
> be installed on the system. I know this game from rpm, but have not
> done it on deb/apt. Propably you should look in "man apt" or "man deb"
> for authentication or key-management.
>
> Pls. let us know if it helped and how you did it.

Thanks Ingo

The reason I think it is external to my system is the fact (sorry I was
not explicit) that a number of packages did not report the WARNING.

from my original message:-

apache2-common apache2-doc apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils bugzilla
bugzilla-doc libapr0 libxine1 and tcpdump passed the authentication
step,

whereas

libsmbclient python-xdg samba samba-common smbclient  generated a
WARNING.

Here is my stored public keys:-

adavid at ubuntu:~$ apt-key list
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg
--------------------
pub  1024D/437D05B5 2004-09-12 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key
<ftpmaster at ubuntu.com>
sub  2048g/79164387 2004-09-12

pub  1024D/FBB75451 2004-12-30 Ubuntu CD Image Automatic Signing Key
<cdimage at ubuntu.com>

And here are my sources.list

adavid at ubuntu:~$ grep -v ^\# /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports hoary-backports main
universe multiverse restricted
  deb http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports hoary-extras main
universe multiverse restricted