Some bugs

Frank Schafer frank.schafer at t-systems.cz
Thu May 12 12:44:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 07:48 -0400, Matthew S-H wrote:

> On May 12, 2005, at 3:45 AM, Frank Schafer wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         ------------------------------- ONE
>         --------------------------------
>                 Setting up network interfaces       [OK]
>         after login network-admin reports that eth0 is configured and
>         active.
>         A typical user (human being) is probably considering a
>         configured and
>         active network interface to be a FUNCTIONAL network interface.
>         If I (what a typical user won't do) open a terminal and run
>         ``ifconfig''
>         I see that the interface doesn't have an IP address.
>
>         Consider this to be a bug
> This isn't a bug.  The fact that the network interface isn't connected
> to anything doesn't mean it isn't "functional".  If it wasn't
> functional, then you wouldn't be able to use it even if you did
> connect something.  Its like saying a computer isn't functional simply
> because noone is using it.

:oDDDDDDDD

The dhcp client failed to get an address. So saying [OK] to this is the
first what is wrong.

Well, regarding to the second ... We know NICs to be "UP" and "DOWN".
The NIC is "UP", that's right. If a NIC is configured it has an address.
So saying the NIC is configured is wrong.

I can say that the NIC isn't functional (the GUI tools report the
opposite) if i try to ``ping somehost'' (means: use it) and this doesn't
work.

BTW: the command line tools (``ifconfig eth0'') reports the NIC to not
be configured.

So this is 2 bugs:
a) bringing up the NIC via DHCP fails and the boot script reports [OK]
b) the GUI tools don't recognize this fact

F.