Perl problems

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Thu May 12 01:59:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 09:52:24PM -0400, Joe Wamsley wrote:
> At the shell I type secede2.pl names.txt (note:both files are together
> in the same directory) and it gives me an error message saying "bash:
> secede2.pl: command not found" I also tried removing the #! to see if
> that worked and no luck. The only way it will run is by typing perl
> secede2.pl names.txt. Any other ideas on what I can try or is this
> something I will just have to deal with.

Is the script executable? Do an

ls -la secede2.pl

The results should look like so:

(21:58) slaniel at TheloniousMonk:~/test$ ls -la secede2.pl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 slaniel slaniel 0 2005-05-11 21:58 secede2.pl

There may be more or fewer 'x's when you list the file, but
there should be at least one.

I'm not sure about your level of expertise, so maybe this is
dumbing down the answer too much. Let me know if I should
adjust the level of my response. :-)

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org