NEWBIE QUESTIONS

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Thu May 12 01:36:50 UTC 2005

I can answer SOME of these for you..

On 5/12/05, Barry Martz <sendithere at cox.net> wrote:
> Hi.  I'm a windows user so please excuse the dumb questions.
Most of us were at some stage.. no shame there.

> How do I download a program (package) and load it?
I presume you mean if your not using Synaptic or apt-get ?
This site here will help you a LOT:
www.ubuntuguide.org
but if you download a .deb (debian package) you can install it via:
dpkg -i andtheapplication.deb
If it's a .tar.gz then the instructions will be somewhere on the site
you got it from, or INSIDE the package (just unzip it and look for a
readme)
If it's a .rpm then you'll need to convert it to .deb or .tar.gz via
an application called Alien (but your mileage may vary)

> I am using Synaptic Package Manager for getting packages.
Then it's too easy, do a search for what your after, select it for
install then apply, it will go get it and install it on it's own :-)

>  What I want to know is
> if I find a program on the internet, do I have to save it to a certain
> file area to UNZIP it and run the
> Synaptic program?
Nope if your using synaptic to search, and install then it will do all
that for you.

> Do I have to use the text commands to open it?

Read above :-)

> Are there programs I can't use with Ubuntu?
That's a big question..
The short answer is not really.. the long answer is also not really :-P

> Here is an example, I am a ham radio operator and there is a
> packetcluster program called CLX.
> I went to the site, downloaded it to my desktop, and there I stand.  How
> do I take that program,
> unzip it and install it?  (am I windows or WHAT!)
Never played with HAM stuff, but a link and a little more info on what
sort of package it is would be useful.

> Sorry for taking up time and space here but I really do want to learn
> and this is REALLY foriegn
> to me.
No problem :-D

--
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
Our OS who art in CPU, LINUX be thy name. Thy programs run, thy