Searching for packages...

Stroller Linux.Luser at myrealbox.com
Wed May 11 23:50:18 UTC 2005

Hi there,

I've been using mostly Gentoo for the last couple of years, but have
decided to try (k)Ubuntu on a new-to-me laptop I just bought. I like it
very much, nice-looking & simple, and after Gentoo the install times
are just amazingly fast ;), just what I need when I'm on-site with my
laptop & realise that I need to install a network utility.

What I don't seem to be able to find is a way to search apt-get's
database for the stuff I want to install. For instance, one of the
first things I went to install was `sshd`, and I didn't know the right
name for the package. I'd already uncommented all the entries in
/etc/apt/sources/list, but `apt-get install sshd` wasn't doing it, and
I had to Google on the name of the package. I had a similar problem
finding kernel sources / headers, which I needed for installing the
driver for my wireless card.

In Gentoo, installing `sshd` would have gone something like:

$ sudo emerge sshd
Password:
Calculating dependencies
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "sshd".

$ emerge -qs ssh
Searching...
[ Results for search key : ssh ]
[ Applications found : 23 ]

*  app-crypt/pam_ssh
*  app-crypt/ssh-multiadd
*  app-shells/rssh
*  dev-haskell/hsshellscript [ Masked ]
*  dev-java/j2ssh
*  dev-perl/net-ssh-perl
*  net-analyzer/scanssh
*  net-libs/libssh
*  net-misc/autossh
*  net-misc/gtk2-ssh-askpass
*  net-misc/kssh
*  net-misc/nxssh
*  net-misc/openssh
*  net-misc/ossh
*  net-misc/ssh
*  net-misc/ssh-installkeys [ Masked ]
*  net-misc/x11-ssh-askpass
*  net-misc/zssh
*  sys-fs/sshfs-fuse [ Masked ]
*  sys-libs/pam_ssh_agent [ Masked ]
*  www-misc/nssha1 [ Masked ]
*  x11-terms/clusterssh [ Masked ]
*  x11-terms/pssh

$ emerge -s openssh ossh ^ssh$
Searching...
[ Results for search key : openssh ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  net-misc/openssh
       Latest version available: 3.9_p1-r2
       Latest version installed: 3.8.1_p1-r1
       Size of downloaded files: 929 kB
       Homepage:    http://www.openssh.com/
       License:     as-is

Searching...
[ Results for search key : ossh ]
[ Applications found : 2 ]

*  net-misc/autossh
       Latest version available: 1.2g
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of downloaded files: 19 kB
       Homepage:    http://www.harding.motd.ca/autossh/
       License:     BSD

*  net-misc/ossh
       Latest version available: 1.5.12
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of downloaded files: 350 kB
       Homepage:    ftp://ftp.pdc.kth.se/pub/krypto/ossh/
       License:     as-is

Searching...
[ Results for search key : ^ssh$ ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  net-misc/ssh
       Latest version available: 3.2.9.1-r1
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of downloaded files: 2,216 kB
       Homepage:    http://www.ssh.com/
       License:     ssh

$ sudo emerge openssh

What is the Ubuntu equivalent of `emerge --search` (or of `esearch`,
the indexed search tool), please?
I find that I can search in `dselect` using the "/" key, but this
doesn't show all the matches in one place - eg qt-dev-tools are not
very near libqt3-dev, making results hard to review.

Many thanks in advance for all replies,

Stroller.