Is there a quick and easy way to concert pdf 2 mpg3

Todd Slater dontodd at columbus.rr.com
Wed May 11 23:45:59 UTC 2005

Hi Rainer,

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:29:58PM +0200, Rainer Gutkas wrote:

> My sister told me of a Mac ispeakit which is able to convert pdf & text
> files to mp3's. Now I wondered if there is a quick and easy way to do
> this in linux, so I can listen to my techspecs at my way to work or
> learn how to use cups,.... etc by not reading but listening which suites
> me more. In fact in the moment I read documents aloud to remember the
> things I read. I think that could be a good way to improve my learning.

I don't know that there's an *easy* way, but I've done it with
Festival's text2wave script. For pdf's you'd need something to convert
it to text first, I believe. Obviously you then have to encode the wav
to mp3 or ogg.

I wrote about it here:
http://idea.zanestate.edu/archives/2004/06/if-it-can-read-a-web-page-why-not-a-journal-article/

and got the voice better here: