[SERVER] How to remove gnome and other applications - headless

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Wed May 11 20:08:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 14:49 -0400, Robert Jameson wrote:
> We did a default install of hoary on a server -- this server dosnt need
> gnome and all the other librarys and applications is there a meta
> package I can remove to uninstall all this stuff.
>
> I know we should of used the custom install command from the cd -- but
> it's too late now.  We've already removed gdm from starting up by using
> rcconf.
>
> --
> Robert Jameson <rj at dawnshosting.com>

If you don't want X at all (you said "headless", didn't you?), then
remove the package "xorg-common".  This should remove all X
applications, the X server(s), and X libraries.  Others, like Python's
and Perl's add-ons, should be removed manually.

Just wait, and somebody (probably) will post a better answer.
Ziyad.