How do I set up an external monitor on a docking station?

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:27:19 UTC 2005

I have Ubuntu Breezy loaded on my old Dell Inspiron 3700 (PIII/450,
Mach64-based ATI Rage Mobility). I recently picked up a docking station
(port replicator, really) and KVM and want to use it with an external
monitor and keyboard.

If I boot the notebook with the lid open and the display going to the
internal LCD, X starts fine at the configured resolution of 1024x768.
Once X is running, I can switch the display to the external monitor and
all works as expected. If, however, the X server starts with the display
switched to the external port (lid open or not), I get a 640x480 display
on the external monitor.

I've poked around with lspci and with the x.org configuration, but can't
see anything obvious to cause this. Ideally, I'd like to run the
external monitor at 1280x1024, if possible, but will settle for both
displays having the same resolution/depth if I must.

Any x.org experts out there with any advice?

Thanks...
<<<John>>>