Nautilus Uses 100% CPU

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Wed May 11 17:34:25 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch 11 Mai 2005 13:11 schrieb Ben Dembroski:
> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> #
> # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be
> loaded # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are
> ignored ide-cd
> ide-disk
> ide-generic
> lp
> mousedev
> psmouse
> sbp2
> sr_mod
> nvidia

ide-generic is, as far as I remember, not able to set the dma, therefor
you must load the chipsetdriver first. please put sata-via and the
other chipsetdriver of your board into the top of /etc/modules.

I found this on the web:
http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72070
Gentoo 2004.0 has the 2.6.3-rc2 kernel
but loads sata_via, sata_sil and libata modules (sata_sil can be
unloaded using modprobe -r, but the libata module cannot and so blocks
sata_via) so I get dma errors.

So put these lines in the first row of /etc/modules:
sata_via
sata_sil

It might be the module VIA82CXXX , but I'm not shure.
via82cxxx.o  kernels < 2.6
via82cxxx.ko  kernels > 2.6

VIA82CXXX chipset support BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX

This driver adds explicit support for VIA BusMastering IDE chips.
This allows the kernel to change PIO, DMA and UDMA speeds and to
configure the chip to optimum performance.

So put via82cxxx into the first line of your /etc/modules, and reboot
your machine.

I found this page of your motherboard:
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8T_Neo2-F&class=mb

there you can read:

Chipset

 • VIA® K8T800 Pro Chipset
 * VIA® VT8237 Chipset
  -  Ultra DMA 66/100/133 master mode EIDE controller
  -  Integrated dual channel native Serial ATA/RAID controller that will
supply 150MB/s and support RAID 0, RAID 1

On-Board IDE

  •  An IDE controller on the VT8237 chipset provides IDE HDD/CD-ROM
with PIO, Bus Master and Ultra DMA 66/100/133 operation modes. It can
connect 4 Ultra ATA drives.
  •  Serial ATA/150 controller integrated in VT8237

So I'm not shure if VT8237 fits to via82cxxx.

And this driverpage:
http://www.viaarena.com/Default.aspx?PageID=2

HTH

Gerhard