Upgrading FireFox to 1.0.3

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Wed May 11 14:43:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-05 at 15:42 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 11.05.2005, 09:06 -0400 schrieb Toddy:
> > You can get Firefox 1.0.3 via the Ubuntu Backports.  See
> > http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/ for details.
> there is no need to break your system with that, all security patches
> for 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 go back into the 1.0.2 mozilla for hoary, so you
> only gain a broken packaging system with that...

And I hope people people update their computers fairly regularly:  there
was an update to Ubuntu's Firefox 1.0.2 (that include the patches that
are in the official firefox 1.0.3) that was released yesterday:

http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2005-May/000130.html

(by the way that low-traffic ubuntu-security-announce mailing list is a
great way to stay in touch with all the security updates that are
released; anyone can subscribe to it)

It's a easier to simply upgrade Firefox using Ubuntu's repositories than
installing 1.0.3 by yourself; and that way you keep using some
Ubuntu-specific feature in Firefox that you generally don't find in 3rd
party backports of Firefox (like the fancier gnome file selectors)

--
Daniel Robitaille
 GPG: http://robitaille.fastmail.fm/pubkey.asc (0x5C19F466)
 IM Jabber: robitaille at jabber.org