Creating a local Ubuntu Mirror of "packages" on a different distro

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Wed May 11 07:10:35 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, Brian Puccio <brian at brianpuccio.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 10:56 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> > I have a small home network with a clarkconnect gateway that I'd like
> > to turn into a Ubuntu "Packages" mirror repository.
> > Is this a viable option?
> > I've been searching the forum and wiki and I can't find much in the
> > way of instructions on creating your own mirror repository..
> > Could someone point me in the right direction?
>
> The relevant ubuntu page is:
>
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/mirror/
>
> As dingyi mentioned in another reply, you want to use rsync to keep your
> mirror up to date with the main repository.  However, if you just use
> plain rsync, you will sync the entire repository, source, binary, all
> releases and all hardware architectures.  This may not even be possible
> as you might not have enough disk space to mirrror the entire
> repository.  If you only want the binary packages for 386 hardware, for
> instance, you might want to look in to using something called debmirror
> (in either universe or main, I forget which, or it can be installed from
> source, it is basically a perl script that uses rsync to sync portions
> of a package repository).  Call debmirror via a cron job (or rsync if
> you do wish to mirror the entire thing) every 6 hours, as per the page,
> and you should be all set.  An example debmirror command is:
>
> debmirror /home/path/to/ubuntu-repository/ -a i386 -h archive.ubuntu.com -e rsync -d warty,warty-updates,warty-security,hoary,hoary-updates,hoary-security,breezy,breezy-updates,breezy-security --nosource -v -s main,restricted,universe,multiverse -r :ubuntu
>
> This will mirror 386 packages, with no source, and grab all of warty,
> hoary and the up and coming breezy.  For more information read "man
> debmirror" and come back here if you need any help.
Cool info thanks
It looks to me like Clarkconnect is a fedora based distro using apt
for package management, but their repository doesn't have debmirror in
their repository.
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work in clarkconnect.. can you?

--
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
Our OS who art in CPU, LINUX be thy name. Thy programs run, thy