Resize XP (NTFS) Partition (Was: Re: Safe for notebook ???)

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Wed May 11 01:23:55 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 17:09 +0800, Alan.Carville at Newmont.com wrote:
> Can any one help?
> Is it "safe" 2 inst Ubuntu (as this will DELETE Windowxs XP).
> Can I expect better from Ubuntu i.e. DVD's,Net surfing,Burning etc?
> OR……is it pos 2 have XP & Ubuntu?

I have successfully used http://www.sysresccd.org/ several times to
resize Windows XP NTFS file systems, to make room for Ubuntu.  Boot to
Windows, run defrag, boot the rescue CD with 'fb1024', then
'run_qtparted' and perform the resize.  On reboot to Windows, it will
run checkdisk --- it is supposed to, so don't worry.

Back up your data first, just in case.

Leave free space for Ubuntu, don't make a Linux file system there; let
the installer do it.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>