How to use mailing list effectly

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue May 10 20:59:53 UTC 2005

Cao Van Khanh wrote:
> I send a mail to the mail list , and sometime the list send back to me a
> list of question and answer include my question and many more ( maybe
> the answer for my question too ) .
>
> But the list is too long , then I would like to reply to somebody or to
> the replier of my question , it make me confuse :( .
>
> Could you give me some experience ?

Looks like you're using Outlook and Exchange...

One thing you might find worth trying is:

 * Follow the link at the bottom of each message
   (http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users)

 * Put your e-mail address in the box at the bottom and click the
   "Unsubscribe or edit options" button next to it

 * Enter your *list* password, which you set up when you joined the list
   (if you've forgotten it, there's an option to get it e-mailed to you)

 * About half-way down, change "Get MIME or Plain Text Digests?" to
   "MIME".

 * Click the "Submit My Changes" button at the bottom of the screen [1]

You should find that each "digest" you receive contains all the messages
in it, but they look like attachments. You can open each of them
individually, and read them. Then you can reply just to the message
you're interested in.

As a bonus, I believe that this will preserve the "references"
information. This helps those of us with threading e-mail clients, as
your response will appear by the message to which you're responding.

Hope this helps,

James.

[1] Consistent capitalisation: we've heard of it...

--
E-mail address: james | Let He who Taketh the Plunge
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Remember to Return it by Tuesday.