Blood Lesson WARNING re "WARTY" Install

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Tue May 10 18:01:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 06:49:29PM +0100, Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:
> It really doesn't. If a newcomer barged into your local pub and started
> shouting unfounded abuse at everyone you'd rightly expect them to be
> chucked out and barred from coming back. This is a relatively pleasant
> list to hang around in; people are mostly nice, knowledgable and
> helpful. The OP is none of those things everyone here is better off if
> they just shut up and go away.

The original poster lost a great deal of data. He is upset
about this, justifiably. He may be mis-aiming his ire, but
he has good reason to feel that way.

The appropriate response is to teach, not to insult. I
submit that the majority of computer users would be
considered idiots by your standard, and would thereby get a
tongue-lashing that would keep them from using Linux. Keep
your eyes on the prize: we want everyone in the world using
Linux, as an important step toward openness and democracy.
By discouraging *any* users --
knowledgeable-by-your-standard or otherwise -- you are
working against the goal.

Here's what you do if you think the original poster doesn't
deserve your time: you edit ~/.procmailrc to look like so:

:0
* From:.*vailima at icontech\.com
/dev/null

There. Now be a nice guy.