Evolution

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue May 10 16:46:34 UTC 2005

vailima wrote:

> Just as you see it below, without using the period(s) in front of each
> data $tring, open Evolution and try to IMPORT the data as you see it,
> into Evolution ...
>
>  Last Name
>  First Name
>  Title
>  Mailing Address
>  City
>  State
>  Zip Code
>  Country
>  Telephone
>  FAX
>
> The above data is in the ASCII format (also known as TeXT format)

OK: time to explain something.

ASCII is a way of encoding letters. But that's *all* the ASCII standard
does. It provides raw text without any meaning.

The example you gave implied a certain amount of meaning. It had data
fields (Last Name, Title, etc) and a structure. Just saying it's ASCII
doesn't mean that the file has to include that data, or that it has to
be laid out that way.

You're asking the computer to work out what each of the fields means by
looking at the context. Computers are notoriously bad at that: to do it
effectively, you'd probably have to implement a full, human-equivalent
AI.

What happens is that there are a whole load of ways of expressing
structure in ASCII files. The old standard for Unix mailers is the mbox
standard, closely related to RFC 2822 and its predecessors. You get
something like