Automatically connecting to a hidden SSID

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Tue May 10 13:44:05 UTC 2005

I'd like Linux to automatically connect to a hidden SSID if

1) it happens to be in range of that SSID, and
2) I've connected to it before, such that Linux knows the
SSID-to-MAC-address mapping.

It seems like it should be fairly easy to implement: if
iwconfig/iwlist reports an SSID as 'hidden', and I connect
to it, some program stores the SSID and its MAC address in a
table. The next time it sees a hidden SSID, it looks in the
table to see whether I've been there before. If I have, it
associates with that SSID. Done.

Is there a well-known way to do this?

--
Stephen R. Laniel