Why are we still using Eye of Gnome?

Alexander Kirillov ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue May 10 13:31:53 UTC 2005

Joel Juliano Wrote:
> gThumb have all the features that is included in EOG.

> gThumb have more features than EOG.

> gThumb is also fast.

> gThumb have next and forward features.

gThumb indeed has many more features than EOG - but this is exactly the
problem. When a person clicks on an image, he/she wants to see the
image. Not catalog it, not run a slide show - just see.  EOG does just
that. If you want more than that, you should ask for it by selecting
"open with...".

Of course, if you know you always want gthumb, just change "Always open
with" preference to have your jpegs always opened in gThumb (this is
what I did). But I think that as a default, EOG makes sense. GNOME
philosophy is to keep it simple: "less is more". KDE philosophy is
opposite. Choose the one you like.

--
Alexander Kirillov