Nautilus Uses 100% CPU

Ben Dembroski info at arthacking.org
Tue May 10 11:02:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, 06 May 2005 17:08:52 +0200
Dennis Kaarsemaker <dennis at kaarsemaker.net> wrote:

> On vr, 2005-05-06 at 10:57 -0400, Trevor Nightingale wrote:
>
> > Any ideas/suggestions ?
>
> It sounds like dma is not active on your machine. You can check it with
> hdparm /dev/hda
> hpparm /dev/hdc
> (or whatever your harddisk and cd are)
> You can enable it with
> hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
> hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
>
> If you want this setting to be permanent do so by
> editing /etc/hdparm.conf. Add the following sections:
>
> /dev/hda {
> 	dma = on
> }
> /dev/hdc {
> 	dma = on
> }
>
> See man hdparm (8) for details.
> --
> Dennis K.
>  <- Are you suicidal?
>  -> Only in the morning.

Hi there,

I was having the same issue, and tried to issue the commands listed above. I get the following error:

	benjamin at BigMartha:/usr/src$ sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb

	/dev/hdb:
	 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
	 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
	 using_dma    =  0 (off)

Any ideas how to get this?

Many thanks.

Ben