Blood Lesson WARNING re "WARTY" Install

Shu Hung (Koala) koalay.dg21 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 02:18:46 UTC 2005

I'm not trying to say "it didn't happen". What I'm trying to say is
that "it could have been avoided".

I read the other message you sent. I read on one (I don't remember
which) that you selected "to install the system automatically with
unused space". I've installed ubuntu 4-5 times since Warty but I
haven't seen that option yet. Is that possible that you've selected to
install the system to the entire harddisk?

2005/5/9, vailima <vailima at icontech.com>:

> But it did "wipe out" the Win98SE data ... wish that it hadn't but it did but at least I had copies of the data which was destroyed.
>

> >Subject: Re: Blood Lesson WARNING re "WARTY" Install
> >   From: "Shu Hung (Koala)" <koalay.dg21 at gmail.com>
> >   Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 22:50:58 +0800
> >     To: Ubuntu Help and User Discussions <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> >
> >Ubuntu doesn't necessarily wipe out all data on your harddisk. You can
> >control the partition creation and format to avoid this kind of
> >tragedy.
> >
> >Actually, if you want to install a ubuntu with another operation
> >system (say "M$ Window$"), you would have to mannually edit the
> >partition table during the installation process. If you use the
> >automated "hand-free" installation instead, the installation program
> >would erase your old partition and all data in it.
> >
> >I once installed Warty on a PC with a Windows, both systems work fine
> >afterward. I have a Hoary with a Windows XP on it, both systems work
> >fine too.
> >
> >Anyway, backup is always a good idea before any system-wide change.
> >Wish you can overcome that.
> >

> >Koala Yeung
> >

> >2005/5/9, vailima <vailima at icontech.com>:
> >>

> >> If I may suggest ....
> >>
> >> BEFORE ... PRIOR TO ... installing UBUNTU onto your main (or only) microcomputer, do yourself a favor and either;
> >>
> >> (1) Purchase a Card Reader with the appropriate number of Memory Cards as may be needed to store all your valuable data files or
> >>
> >> (2) purchase a new and large enough hard drive with the associated cables (see eBay) with which you can attach this new hard drive to your present computer,
> >>
> >> .. then down load and store all files and associated data which are of value to you.
> >>
> >> I suggest this as "WARTY" UBUNTU will destroy/write over/delete/remove ALL files currently on your hard drive. Unlike Mandrake, "WARTY" UBUNTU will NOT reside with another operating system on the same hard drive.
> >>
> >> I found this out the hard way ... only I had and have backup files and data stored on other microcomputers which I own.
> >>

> >--

Technical Support, DigitalOne Limited
Tel: 8100-2616 / 2545-1383   Fax: 2815-0593