Network proxy settings don't work for terminal apps or "Weather Report"

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Tue May 10 01:17:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 17:08 -0400, Pat Taylor wrote:
> Has anyone had success getting the "Weather Report" applet (gnome panel
> applet, not gdesklets) to work with a network proxy?  It doesn't seem to
> use the proxy information, whether it's entered using
> System > Preferences > Network Proxy
> or with
> gconf-editor (system > proxy)
>
> I've also noticed that, on the same network, synaptic works when the
> proxy is specified in the preferences (as do browsers, etc), but
> terminal apps like apt-get and wget do not.  In short, it seems that
> System > Preferences > Network Proxy
> doesn't really do anything, and the only applications that can get a
> network connection are the ones with application specific proxy settings.
>
> Suggestions are appreciated!

I never used "Weather Report", so I can't help you there.  But, if what
you say is correct, then this a bug, and some one post a bug report (if
no one already done it).

As for the console/terminal behaivore, I think it's okay and not a bug
per-say.  To use a Network Proxy with console applications, you need to
set the approprate environment variables:
      * For FTP: set ftp_proxy
      * For HTTP: set http_proxy
      * For HTTPS: set https_proxy
Here's an example: to set the HTTP, HTTPS and FTP proxies to
192.168.0.100 with port 8080, do:
        export http_proxy='http://192.168.0.100:8080'
        export https_proxy='http://192.168.0.100:8080'
        export ftp_proxy='http://192.168.0.100:8080'

(note in all cases the address starts with 'http://')

To exclude some addresses from using the proxy (in other words, you know
you can connect to those addresses directly), put the addresses in a
variable called "no_proxy".  Example: the servers 192.168.0.5 and
192.168.0.8 are on the same network as I'm, and hence I don't need my
traffic to go through a proxy, I would do:
        export no_proxy='192.168.0.5, 192.168.0.8'

Ziyad.