playing DVD (Kernel Trouble?)

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Tue May 10 00:59:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 00:57 +0200, René L. Reingard wrote:
> Am Mon, 09 May 2005 20:51:23 +0300 schrieb ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY
> <zamb at saudi.net.sa>:
>
> > Here's my last shot: Are those DVD(s) self made?  There is a bug in some
> > Kernels (including the one in Hoary) that prevents the Kernel from
> > reading some multi-session DVD(s).  If that's the case, then the
> > solution would be:
> >       * Use IDE SCSI emulation for the DVD.
> >       * Compile your own Linux Kernel.
> >       * Wait for Breezy to be released.
> >       * Don't wait for Breezy to be released, and start using it know
> >         even of it's not stable. (This is *NOT* recommended!)
>

> thanks again for thinking about that troubleing thing.
> NON of the DVD's i play are hand-made, and again, they run on the same
> machine (same CD-Drive) in Windows XP just fine. all of them. and they did
> so in Warty (with OGLE and VLC).
Good to know that.  That way, we can safely ignore hardware failure as a
possible cause for this problem.

> what's about the Kernel Topic you are talking about? can you provide me
> with any link on that?
Just forget what I said before (read below for more info).  And here are
some links (if you're still curious):
      * http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=108801920816977&w=2
                and the replay to the above with some explinations:
      * http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=108827602322464&w=2
        and here's another link about the subject (though, it refers to
        one of the above links!):
      * http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0412.2/0340.html

> i do not see myself able to compile an own Kernel, unless i get clear and
> well written instructions - eventhough i did straight edge Turbo Pascal
> Programming 12 years ago. i do not want to make it worse!
That's okay, maybe we can fix it the easy way.  Beside, we don't know
for sure that this will fix the problem!  (Come to think of it, it's
definitely not the same problem I mentioned before!  You said the DVDs
used to play on the older Warty without a problem.)

> what is:
>
> a.) Breezy?
The next, to be released, Ubuntu version.  The first one was Warty, the
second is Hoary and the one to be released is (will be?) called Breezy.

> b.) IDE SCSI emulation for the DVD?
There are two types of CD-ROM and DVD drives: IDE (the common one, and
most likely every one in this list got one of those) and SCSI (very
expansive, old, and most likely no one in this list have it).  That
being said, in Linux you can access IDE drives in two different ways:
     1. The neutral way (as IDE device) and this is the default as of
        Linux 2.6 and it's the recommended.
     2. Using SCSI emulation (in other words, Linux treats the drive as
        if it is an SCSI device using some internal translator).

To try using the SCSI emulation, put the following lines at the *top* of
the file "/etc/modules":
        ide_scsi
        sr_mod
        sg

(To edit the file, use the command: "sudo gedit /etc/modules")

Now, reboot your system and hope that this will work.  (By the way, by
using the SCSI emulation, you wont lose any functionality from the PC.)

> i just guess, that since Hoary the CD-Drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM) does not get
> supported properly as before in Warty.
We know for sure that Warty was working properly, but Hoary, on the
other hand, have problems with *some* DVDs.

> could this be the reason after all?!
What is?  (Sorry, I didn't understand this one!)

> René

Ziyad.