Blood Lesson WARNING re "WARTY" Install

vailima vailima at icontech.com
Mon May 9 21:04:00 UTC 2005

Starting with Mandrake v7.0, right up to Mandrake v9.1, I've installed, removed and re-intalled "Linux" ala Mandrake well over two dozen times in the last three years, so I offer that I have some idea of what I'm talking about with regard to installing a Linux OS on what was a MS controlled machine.

As for "Wharty", something clearly went badly wrong on the install. My fault? Perhaps. I'm not beyond reproach in this area but as for the error being my fault? I'm still not convinced that it was.

For what it may be worth, I just again installed "Warty" on the desktop, and this time I had it remove everything (i.e., intentionally took off/out Win98SE) and again the same problems seem to have surfaced:

1. Won't recognize the external ZOOM modem
2. Won't recognize the Lexmark E232 laser printer
3. Won't recognize the Microtech v300 scanner

How to solve the problem? Experience has shown me, one step at a time; i.e, step one, then step two, then step 3.

So I ask you, any good at installing/debugging an external ZOOM modem with this Ubuntu/Wharty version? If not, know anyone who might be?

Don't want to hear about the printer. Don't want to hear about the scanner. Just want to hear about the modem; i.e., step one.