freezing problems

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon May 9 16:37:23 UTC 2005

Paolo Ariano was having freezing problems. I said:
> It's very likely that this is the X server. Which graphics hardware do
> you have, and which driver are you using?

Paolo replied:
> 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc
> Radeon RV100 QY [Ra deon 7000/VE]
>
> Driver          "ati"
>
> thanks
> paolo
>
> PS @ the moment i'll disable screensaver/GL screensaver as
> suggested ;)

Interesting. I have a PCI Radeon 9250, which I think is the tail end of
the same basic design as what you're using. I had plenty of freezing
problems until I switched to the ati driver.

Although come to think of it, I disabled the
       Load    "dri"
line in xorg.conf, too, by putting a # at the start of the line (this
turns the command into a comment, which x.org ignores. This is very very
common across lots of software for Unix and Unix-like OSes).

I'm on AMD64, with a NForce 4 based motherboard.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Dell decided to deck its workstation Itanics late last
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | year citing the compelling reason that it hadn't sold