Evolution : oh my god !

vailima vailima at icontech.com
Mon May 9 16:33:29 UTC 2005

Mr. Ziyad;

As I know and understand it, ASCII files are those which have and for the most part only have the following characteristics:

1. Letters A - Z
2. Numbers 0 - 9
3. Commas (,)   Periods (.)   Semi-colons (;)  Colons (:) and a few other characters.

For all intents and purposes, there is no formatting with ASCII code, as everything is slewed to the left.

On this end, experience has long ago taught me to make backups of every file of value, not only in the form of the file formatting common to the software generating the file (Word Perfect, Excel and the like) but in ASCII as well and such a practical policy has repeatedly proven its worth over the years.

The "... mbox ..." format of which you speak is and unknown here but the ASCII and the CSV (comma seperated values) formats have repeatedly stood the test of time.

You might also want to keep in mind that most of us are moving away from WinDOZ, and are only too glad to do so, and while you come across as a Linux "expert" keep in mind (which can be difficult for some - I've seen it too many times before) that not all of us who are moving over to Linux are computer "experts" but in large measure, we do know what we're talking about when it comes to our own use and applications of this microcomputers.

As with Ubuntu, Evolution has clear promise, which may explain why Novel paid so much for the rights to it.