Just installed Ubuntu 5.0.4

Rain Crawford playstuff642 at hotmail.com
Mon May 9 13:06:36 UTC 2005

Good day ladies and gentleman,
i am Rain from Singapore.
i have been reading the FAQ on both Ubuntu and Debian Website on Hardware
Issue.
Since Ubuntu is built upon Debian, therefore i have been checking my
hardware component on Debian Website and realised that most of my hardware
doesnt match with the supported-hardware lists on Debian site.

I am using:
- Intel P4 1.7GHz with Intel heatsink
- Gigabyte P4 Titan 533 series motherboard
- nVidia TNT2 32MB graphic card
- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
- Samsung DDR333 256MB ram (single side ram x02 = 512MB)
- 10GB IBM HDD
- HEC-300AR-TF power supply
- D-Link 10/100 network card
- LG DVD/CD rom (internal)
- BenQ external DVD Writer USB2.0
- BenQ 15" monitor

This is my first attempt using Linux system. I came across Ubuntu while
searching for Fedora Core 3.
When i boot up my system and into Ubuntu Desktop, it became VERY Slow in
opening up applications and when i go into the SYstem Monitor to check the
ram usage, i realised that it uses up alot of my ram. I only installed the
basic applications (OpenOffice + GIMP + Media Player) that come with the
basic installation.

I have emailed you in a hurry(since i am experiencing internet connection
problem - it tends to disconnect very easily after 10+ minutes of surfing -
using Ubuntu 5.0.4) using my friend email sirequery at hotmail.com. Please
ignore that email.

Can you kindly advice me or direct me to the appropriate FAQ so that i can
fix my problem fast thus can contribute to the community soon.

Thanks you very much for your time,
Rain.