Hoary Repositories (binary / source)

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Mon May 9 12:35:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 09 May 2005 14:02:13 +0200
"René L. Reingard" <reingard at hispeed.ch> wrote:

RLR> hello,
RLR> what i never got to understand is that repos are devided into
RLR> Binary and   Source.
RLR> how this comes?
RLR> and if i read the repos for Marillat, i only see one line, binary.
RLR> how this comes?
RLR>
RLR> thanks for telling me about that.

You only actually need the source packages if you need too rebuild a
package with different options than the default for some reason (kernel
excluded, as there are kernel source packages in the binary
repositories). I'm not really sure why both Ubuntu and Debian enable
source-package repositories by default -- surely it would be better to
include the source repositories in the default sources.list but
commented out. I'm at some level a programmer and I can't think of more
than a couple of occasions when I've needed to install a source package.

James

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |