[Hoary] Reinstall GRUB after install of Win XP - Linz

Thomas Kaiser thomas at kaiser.linux-site.net
Mon May 9 03:12:10 UTC 2005

>>boot with your  install  cd
>>and boot
>>at the first dialog   switch to  F2 console
>>then
>>mkdir /aa
>>mount /dev/hdaX  /aa <-- where hdaX is your root partition

Do you mean the partition Win XP is on or Ubuntu?

Mount your Ubunut partition. If you have double boot, then /dev/hda1 is
most likely the windows partion. And (depends on swap) I guess /dev/hda2
is your Ubuntu root partition?

Anyway, The idea of all of this is to boot from the CD and then change
everything over to your HD, just as you would have booted from HD
(more/less), this is chroot doing.

If you don't know on which partition your root (Ubuntu) is located, just
enter fdisk -l. And the line with ext3 should be your root partition
(assuming you have only Ubuntu and winXP installed).

Regards, Thomas