VNC Installation

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun May 8 07:51:21 UTC 2005

Ropetin Again wrote:
> This question comes from one thing really, laziness.  I have an older
> desktop (p3 1GHz, 512Mb) that I use as a server for music, as remote
> storage and as a Torrent downloader.  Currently it is running Windows
> 2000, with a VNC server so it is headless.
>
> I would like to be able to replace Windows with Linux, but I don't want
> to get the monitor out of storage.  Is it possible to install Ubuntu (or
> any other version of Linux I guess), including re-partitioning, via a
> VNC connection?  Or the real question is, does Ubuntu or another distro
> have a VNC server enabled at part of the install?

I believe you can install Fedora like this (if you have a DHCP server so
it can discover an IP address).

You put the install CD in. About two seconds after it boots, it comes up
with a boot option screen. You type vnc (maybe vnc linux: I can't
remember), so you'll have to have a keyboard attached. Wait for the
thing to boot, then connect to it via VNC.

This might be a good option for Ubuntu, or it might be essentially
bloat. (I presume it's designed to help people remotely install Linux:
you can get untrained staff to put a CD in, reboot, and type one line).

James.

--
E-mail address: james | When did you last back up your system?
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |