New VTE

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Sun May 8 05:19:19 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 01:08 -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:46:58AM +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> > Ubuntu's gnome-terminal is pleasantly free of these bugs. It may be
> > inefficient, but it does what it's supposed to do.
>
> This is where my understanding of open-source implementation
> fails me. My intuition would tell me that the quality of a
> given open-source app would be as good as the best version
> of it that's out there. So if Debian has a good version of
> gnome-terminal (which it does -- I've never had the bug you
> linked to), Red Hat would have a version that's at least as
> good as the Deb version. So why doesn't it work that way?

Becausae the maintainers of $version have not decided to import
$otherversion.

Also, 'better' is a subjective word.  Some patches may be better, some
might be better but introduce bugs that debian doesn't want, some might
introduce some licensing issue that redhat don't care about but debian
does (or whatever).

Cheers,
Trent

--