Ubuntu compatibility with Debian?

David Teague teague at jackson.main.nc.us
Sun May 8 01:35:37 UTC 2005

How compatible is Ubuntu with Debian Stable, Testing,
Unstable, and Experimental? If I choose some package
from say Unstable and install it in Hoary, am I asking for
difficulty?

I have been advised that the changes Ubuntu makes in
the packages and the system are great enough to have
installing packages from Debian cause considerable
pain.

I point out before asking the following question that one
chooses one's advice in choosing the advisor. I'm talking
to the Ubuntu list right now.

At least one person suggested that Ubuntu's changes
almost amount to "a fork in Debian development." I
believe that is an exaggeration. Please remark on any
features or design decisions of Ubuntu that might have
been a basis for such a remark.

I trying to decide between Ubuntu and another (not
free as in free beer but highly regarded) distribution.

Thank you!

David Teague,  http://cs.wcu.edu/~dbt
Advocating Free Software and Double Bass tuned in fifths
www.dennismasuzzo.com;  www.silviodallatorre.com
www.joelquarrington.com/;  For information on Red  Mitchell,
http://home.teleport.com/~mimuma/;  www.larryholloway.com