Firefox 1.0.3 in amd64 debian sarge? was: How to use backports in amd64

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Sat May 7 16:57:12 UTC 2005

Am Samstag 07 Mai 2005 18:05 schrieb Daniel Robitaille:
> On Sat, 2005-07-05 at 15:01 +0200, Gerhard Gaußling wrote:
> > If there are some brave ubuntu users out there, here is the way to
> > install firefox 1.0.3-2 from debian sarge/amd64 on ubuntu, but it
> > removes ubuntu-desktop ;-). Is that an metapackage, that we don't
> > need, or will it remove gniome completely?
>
> it is a metapackage; removing ubuntu-desktop will not remove gnome.

Hello Daniel,
thank you for pointing that out.
Then, the only important package which will be removed is
mozilla-firefox-gnome-support:
 This is an extension to Mozilla Firefox that allows it to use
 protocol handlers from Gnome-VFS, such as smb or sftp, and other
 Gnome integration features.

Decide it yourself, if you want to make it this way.

Note: Apt pinning leads often in a heavily mixed system if you don't
look at the informations that apt will give you by installing a package
from breezy oand/or debian sarge/SID.

$ apt-show-versions |egrep "(unstable|breezy|sarge|sid)"|wc -l
37
I, for example got 37 packages from other repositories than hoary.
But I got transcode and nvu etc. installed, and I'm contempt with my
system. I hope it stays like that ;-)

Kind regards

Gerhard Gaußling