Wireless network diagnosis

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Sat May 7 14:36:23 UTC 2005

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 02:50:24PM +0100, Sam Tygier wrote:
> a good set of tools are
> ifconfig (shows your network connections)
> iwconfig (similar, but with the wireless specific info)
> ethereal (packet watcher, lets you see what happening on an network
> interface)

Sorry, I should have been clearer: I'm very familiar with
those tools, and I know the card is working because I'm
connecting to the neighbor's WiFi just fine. It's just that
'iwlist eth0 scan' isn't showing the WiFi router that it
should be showing, and I wonder why. The IPW2200 driver is
under development, so it's reasonable to think that the
driver is at fault.

So what I'd like is a tool that can dig into the 'scan'
feature more precisely, so that I can see why the card
doesn't see the particular router. If I could see detailed
output of the 'scan' function, that would be ideal. Is there
a tool to do this? If anything, I would have expected
Ethereal to do the trick, but the 'scan' function doesn't
seem to shoot out any bits; it's purely a passive function,
it seems.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org