MOTU report - Issue 3

Daniel Holbach dh at mailempfang.de
Sat May 7 14:01:13 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

this is the third issue of the MOTU report, bringing you NEWS about the
efforts of the MOTU project [1], a group of volunteers maintaining most
of the Universe and Multiverse packages.

[1] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU

=> The last month in an overview <=

April was a very unusual month to all of us. We combined all of our
efforts on the release on the 8th and fixed quite a lot of packages. [2]
is a very good piece of evidence for this. Thank you very much to all of
you who made this happen! Two weeks later the BreezyBadger cycle opened,
so we had some days for celebrating the release and of rest.

[2] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UniversePriorityList

On the 25-30 April some of us were able to attend [3] (Pictures here:
[4]) which brought exciting ideas and plans to Ubuntu Universe, some of
which are: [5], [6], [7], [8], [9], [10] and [11].

[3]  http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDownUnder
[4]  http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDownUnder
[5]  http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/ExpandingUniverse
[6]  http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/GettingInvolved
[7]  http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/MaloneFixStatus
[8]  http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/MentoringCommunity
[9]  http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/UniverseSecurity
[10] http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUTeams
[11] http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuCommunity

=> Future plans <=

As you can see from the specifications ([5] through [11]), one focus
will be on building teams. Some are existing silently [12], but are
doing extraordinary work already: GNOME, Java, KDE, Kernel, Mono,
Python, Security, Xfce, Zope/Plone - just to mention a few of them.

There's still a lot of pioneer atmosphere, so if you want to build your
own team, talk to us and we'll make it happen. Teams are fun, can cover
bigger areas and make the change. Start here: [12]

[12] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUTeams
[13] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUTeamHowto

Our next BIG task will be the C++ transition [13] (due to [14]) and I'm
sure we'll manage it admirably. If you want to join the MOTU crew, this
is a great opportunity to learn, get into the team and give us a hand.

[13] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UniverseCxxTransition
[14] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyToolchainTransition

The MOTU crew is open for newcomers, just join #ubuntu-motu on
irc.freenode.net and talk to us. You can make the change! Today!

(If I forgot to write about YOU, I didn't do it intentionally, just tell
me and you'll be in the next issue.)

Have a nice day,
 Daniel Holbach (for the MOTU team)