trimming the fat - update manager

toyfactory toyfactory at xsmail.com
Sat May 7 10:48:11 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:

> An upgrade -- well, by definition, it's a slightly newer version of a
> package that's already installed. On Ubuntu, I understand that any
> upgraded packages will just be bugfixes. These won't be much larger than
> what's already there, and could save on memory (if they fix memory
> leaks).

I understand this, I just don't think I need the upgrade manger running
all the time.  Can't I just use Synaptic to mark the necessary upgrades
once a week or so?

> The first thing I'd recommend would be to run
> ps -ef | less

OK, that's my homework and it'll help my understanding of how the system
fits together.

I'll also see if I can reduce the size of the RAM used for the frame
buffer, as I don't need fancy 3D on my laptop.

Thanks for the hints,

Nick