trimming the fat - update manager

toyfactory toyfactory at xsmail.com
Sat May 7 06:46:51 UTC 2005

As RAM is tight on my laptop (192MB maximum) I want to remove as much
software I'm sure I don't need as possible.  (But I would like to stick
to Gnome for the time being).

For starters as I prefer to manually mark all upgrades in Synaptic once
a week or so would removing update-manager and update-notifier cause any
problems?

Anywhere else I can save memory, can I find out if there are unnecessary
modules loaded or services started?

The Low Memory HOWTO looked interesting but was more aimed at people
installing from scratch.  I'm looking at things the other way, wanting
to trim the fat from an existing installation.  Any idea where I should
start?

Cheers,

Nick