Ign in apt-get update?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri May 6 22:52:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 03:23:20PM +0100, James Tappin wrote:
>On Fri, 06 May 2005 10:11:00 -0400
>Steve Haines <haines at ita.com.py> wrote:
>
>SH> When running apt-get update, what does "Ign" mean? Here is an
>SH> example:
>SH>
>SH> stephen at ubuntu:~ $ sudo apt-get update
>SH> Password:
>SH> Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary Release.gpg [189B]
>SH> Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary-updates Release.gpg
>SH> Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary Release
>SH> Get:2 http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security Release.gpg [189B]
>SH> Get:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary-updates Release [16.8kB]
>SH>
>SH> I assume it's "ignore," but what does THAT mean to the update
>SH> process? I  tried "man apt-get" and the document in
>SH> /usr/share/doc/apt-doc/, but  didn't see anything that mentioned
>SH> Ign.
>SH>
>
>Basically it means it hasn't fetched it because you already have the
>file with the same date.

Sometimes it means that the file doesn't exist on the server. E.g. if
you add my little repo to your sources you'll get an 'Ign' on
Release.gpg, since it doesn't exist. (I don't know how to create one.)

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Linear improvements in compute power can't stand up to exponential improvements
in difficulty.
      -- Anonymous