Thoughts on zope2.7 instance layout (FHS)

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Fri May 6 16:00:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the new layout for zope instances.

I like FHS compliance (putting conf files in /etc and log files in
/var/log) for ubuntu managed instances (i.e those in /var/zope2.7/instance)

But when you just want a quick a dirty instance to mess with it's bit of
a hassle to have to sudo mkzope2.7instance. And even more of a hassle
when you want to get rid of it and have to wipe directories in /etc and
/var/log.

Suggestion:

Why not let /usr/lib/zope2.7/bin/mkzopeinstance.py work in the standard
zope way so I can create my instance anywhere I want and not worry about
   ubuntu specifics. If I want a fully ubunutuized instance (perhaps for
a more permamnent site)  I can always use mkzope2.7instance.

Regards,

Laurence