Postfix and Courier will not receive mail

Lance Earl dallypost at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 12:30:56 UTC 2005

--- dave walker <dave at mudsite.com> wrote:

> >Hi Tony,
> >
> >Thanks for the help. Here is the first few lines of
> my
> >master.cf. I beleive that it is set correctly and
> >still I get no incoming email. When I use nmap to
> >check for open ports, 25 is not on the list.
> >
> >Lance
> >

> In the past couple of days I did a PostFix/tls and
> courier-imap-ssl
> install.  I did not have these problems you are
> having though.  For my 2
> cents what I would check:
>
> 1)  #postfix check
> This will check your config file and make sure it is
> ok.  I hope that
> this problem is caused by a simple typo and not
> something bigger.
>
> 2) #ps aux
> See if postfix is actually running on your machine.
>
> 3) Now I am not going to say I know how POP works at
> all, I don't.  I
> know a bit more about the IMAP side of things.
>
> In the following files I list what I changed in
> them:
>
> /etc/courier/imapd
> ADDRESS=0
> PORT=143
> IMAPDSTART=yes
> MAILDIRPATH=Maildir
>
> /etc/default/courier:
> MAILDIR="Maildir"
>
> /etc/postfix/master.cf
> smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -
>    smtpd -v
>

> 4)  just to be safe add them to your startup:
> update-rc.d add postfix default
> update-rc.d add courier-imap default
> update-rc.d add courier-pop default
>
> 5) Just to be safe, make sure your DNS zone file has
> (Hopefully this can
> be moot)
> yourdomain.com.   IN   MX   1   mail.yourdomain.com
> mail.yourdomain.com.   IN   A   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> 6) Open your window, call me to stand outside, take
> computer, throw it
> out the window.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the assist. I jumped through the hoops you
suggested... NO JOY!$#@*&^*##*

Here is the thing, I make my living by training
horses, producing horse shows and clinics, selling
advertising and drumming up sponsors. In the past week
and a half I have done none of the things that keep
the lights on.

I am interested in establishing a relationship with an
oncall IT magician. In most cases I can find my way
around the server but there are times when I hit the
wall am begin to spin my wheels. What I need is
someone who will:
1. have root access to my server
2. help me get quickly and easily past occasional road
blocks
3. Report back to me so I can know what was done and
why
4. Not break my small business budget.

If you or anyone out there has any interest, please
contact me at dallypost at yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Lance Earl

Discover Yahoo!